Why You Don’t Want a Fat Free Diet

by Norm on February 11, 2015

in Circulation, Diet, Eliminations, Energy, Healing, Health Q & A, Nutrition

Q. I am planning a fat free diet in order get my weight down. How can I be sure that my diet is totally fat free?

First of all, why do you want such an extreme diet? Unless you are intending to be on this diet just a short time, you run the risk of developing nutritional deficiencies.

A healthy diet includes fats, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. Fats are necessary for their lubricating effects upon the cells, joints and limbs to prevent wear and uncomfortable friction. Fats are a source of energy. And a certain amount of fat in the body is necessary to protect the cells.

Good Health Requires Balanced Living

Whenever you attempt to eliminate any element that is a natural part of a food, you run the risk of upsetting both the balance of the food and of your own system. Foods in their natural, whole, fresh, clean, unadulterated state tend to include all of the elements necessary for their proper metabolism in your body.

If you want to eliminate fats from your diet because you feel that your diet has been too high in fats. or because you are overweight, or because you have deposits in your arteries, use good nutritional sense.

Beware of simplistic solutions that advocate unnatural substitutes. In our rush to find easy answers, we support large industries that supply us with non-dairy creamers, non-cream whipped toppings, and non-butter butter substitutes. A little common sense will tell you that these are not solutions.

For instance, you may have fatty deposits in your arteries but this may not be because you are eating too much natural fat. It may be the result of

• Inadequate circulation because you are not exercising enough
  • Bad digestion caused by overeating
  • Autotoximia caused by poor eliminations
  • Nonfood substances and/or foods processed in such a way that your body cannot properly assimilate them
  • Stress

Common sense should tell you that if you do have atherosclerosis for any of the above reasons, that the indiscriminate use of fake cream, butter, cheese, and milk substitutes will not solve your problem. Most of these products have replaced the natural food elements with chemicals to color, flavor, preserve, and shape the products. If your body has had a hard time handling the fat in milk, the first food humans are able to assimilate, imagine what it does with the aluminum and whiteners found in some nondairy creamers, or with the hydrogenated oils and artificial butter flavors and colors found in some margarines.

Eliminate These Fats First

If you want to reduce your fat intake and improve your health, begin by cutting down on unnatural fats such as foods fried at such high temperatures that the fats are no longer easily assimilated by the body. Eliminate marbled beef that gives juicy, tender, easy eating steaks but comes from animals that are overfed and not allowed to exercise. Don’t eat any food made with oils that normally are liquid at room temperature that have been chemically treated or hydrogenated to change the oil into solid margarine that the body cannot digest and assimilate, and which clog up the cells and blood vessels.

Your best insurance for a healthy body is still a balanced program of yoga asanas (postures) with relaxation, breathing and meditation, a clean diet high in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and a cheerful attitude.

Please feel free to ask questions and make comments below, which will require you to sign in with your name and email address in order to prevent spam comments. Your email will not be posted on this blog nor will it ever be sold or otherwise distributed without your permission. I dislike spam as much as you do…Norm

I very much would like to hear from those of you whose success with Yoga might inspire others.

Rene Iglesias February 11, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Hola Norm,

Long time with out reading one of your e-mail….I am a Spanish teacher one of my students gave a speech on Sn. Miguel Allende, and she posted really great views of the town. It is such a beautiful place. Sorry there is not Whole Food Market there…I am glad to hear you eat dairy products…I started a vegetarian diet, but it was so hard for me to leave out dairy products…so after a month I started including dairy product to my vegetarian diet…and I feel much better. I love cheese and it was hard when I was not eating any. What dairy products will you recommend to go alone well with a vegetarian diet….? I tried to stay away from fat free products, but I buy reduced fat products you know 1%, 2%.

dawna February 11, 2015 at 2:24 pm

hi Norman, I think attention to the importance of good fats is what many do not understand. There is a difference between a useful essential oil through good oils, nuts and avocados and bad saturated fats found in unnatural or fake foods like margarine, or bad for you oils.
I wanted to offer a simple solution to finding good yogurt in central Mexico. Make your own! It’s simple. First source good ORGANIC milk. Use a culture of Bifidus Acidophilus from Yógourmet. You could ask the health food store to order it for you. Follow the instructions on the box and delicious yogurt is made in 12-15 hours.
Good nutrition and daily yoga and meditation go hand in hand. One without the other will not bring the effects of health and well being that we are all looking for.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
dawna masters/Canada

Beverly Shoemaker February 11, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Hi Norman, Bob and I are in Zihuatanejo where we are with friends from Canada. We have a yoga class, and keep up with our practice daily. We have enjoyed your short tapes online immensely, and that works into our routine.

We enjoy your emails and informatiion.

Thank you.

Beverly Shoemaker

Norm February 11, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi Beverly,
I am always happy to hear how you and Bob are doing. The climate in Zihuatanejo should be just about perfect this time of year.

I am glad that you find my offerings helpful. Always glad to get feedback.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems that I may help you with.

Blessings,
Norman

Norm February 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Hi Dawna,

Thank you for shining more light on the subject and making the distinction between different fats.

Thank you for your advice on making yogurt at home. Hopefully, others living here in Mexico will benefit from your guidance on how to get this done here. Of course, it is much easier to get starter cultures in the USA and Canada.

I am always happy to hear from you,

Norm February 11, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Hola Rene,

Thank you for sharing your experiences comparing how you felt on a vegetarian diet without vs with dairy. Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what to do. For some time now many have given up dairy entirely. Without getting into the arguments against the consumption of dairy products, I have to state that the consumption of dairy products has been promoted by yogis and Ayurvedic doctors for more than five thousand years. Milk is considered a very sattvic food, meaning it promotes spirituality. Some yogis have been know to live only on milk.

The great yogi Paramahansa Yogananda, as well as some scientists, has stated that two of the most complete foods are milk and eggs, since they have all of the ingredients necessary to support life. Of course, since yogis advocate nonviolence, it is implied that this comes from healthy animals that are loved and treated properly rather than abused.

Any discussion of diet should recognize that we are all different. So, Rene, since you say that you feel much better when you include dairy products in your diet, then that is no doubt the best for you. You might consider including some kefir and yogurt along with the cheese.

Thank you for sharing your experience,
Norman

Scott Benson February 13, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Hi Norm,
It was good to see another article come our way from you; thank you.

A good alternative to yogourt is Kefir. I have been eating Kefir every day for years now and I credit it with benefits of avoiding colds/flu and for ensuring a good dose of pro-boitics every day. There are many more strains of yeasts and bacteria in Kefir than in yogourt and here is a great advantage: no need to sterilize or pasteurize. With yogourt you need to ensure you have scalded your containers and utensils and then you need to heat the milk above pasteurization temperature; cool it; inoculate it and then keep it warm while it incubates. With Kefir you can simply do a good job at washing your containers and utensils, move the culture to the jar, pour in the milk, cover and place on the counter at room temperature. There is a bit of planning to get the container size matched to the amount of milk and time to ferment; but Kefir is forgiving. It can sit in the fridge for quite some time without harm. When it has fermented simply move the culture to a clean container and repeat. Kefir has a sharper bite than yogourt, and is thinner; but it is delicious when mixed with whatever fruit you desire. Just one more tidbit is that you need the colony itself as using Kefir from the store will not re-generate indefinitely and has fewer species.
Namaste,
Scott.

Norm February 13, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Scott, Thank you so much for this. I had no idea that Kefir had all these advantages over yogurt, both in the nutritional benefits and in not needing to sterilize all the containers and milk before using as is the case with yogurt. Yogurt was a staple in my Macedonian family. As a child I learned that the first thing we did to make yogurt was to bring the milk to a boil in order to kill any foreign bacteria.

Here in San Miguel de Allende my friend Pat is making and selling goat’s milk Kefir and can barely keep up with the demand. In addition to my readers, I am sure Pat will be interested in reading your comments and perhaps use some of these ideas to promote his Kefir.

On another note, Scott: I don’t know what your profession is, but you certainly write well. You managed to explain all of this very clearly without wasting a single word, without using one word more than necessary. Hopefully, if I keep working at it, some day I may get close to your level of writing.

Thank you for your wonderful contribution,
Blessings & Namasté,