How Lemons and Limes Keep You Healthy

by Norm on July 10, 2014

in Circulation, Diet, Eliminations, Energy, Fatigue, Hatha Yoga, Healing, Health Q & A, Nutrition, Paramahansa Yogananda, Self-Realization Fellowship, Yoga

Q. In Mexico I see widespread use of limes. Do limes have any special value?

Yes. Limes, and this includes lemons, are recommended by Yoga Science because they are good disinfectants. The juice kills many germs in the stomach and intestinal tract. This is especially important to help combat intestinal amoebas in warm climates like Mexico’s.

The use of lemon has been recommended to travelers by a doctor with the Organization of  American States to  prevent amoebic problems in Mexico.

Many yogis start the day drinking the juice of one lemon diluted in a glass of warm water because of its beneficial effect upon the liver, spleen, intestines, kidneys, bladder, and urinary tract. Lemon juice taken daily on an empty stomach will disinfect the physical organs. The acid in the lemon destroys undesirable germs that get into the body.

Another value of this practice is to aid in the easy evacuation of the bowels. If you are bothered by constipation try the following:

Simple, Easy-to-Do, Yogic Technique for Easier Bowel and Bladder Evacuations

1. Upon arising in the morning, drink a warm glass of water to which has been added the juice of one lemon or lime. This will stimulate the peristaltic action of the colon.

2. To further aid in this process, bend over, put your hands on your thighs or on a table, bend your knees slightly, and do abdominal movements.

3. With your spine straight but inclined and most of your torso weight on your hands, exhale and draw your stomach and abdomen in and up. This motion is assisted by the partial vacuum created by the lungs being empty and by the weight upon the hands.

4. Push the abdomen and stomach out slowly and pull in again and then out.

5. Take a breath and repeat.

All the movement is done with the breath out. As you get better at this, you may increase the number of movements you can do comfortably without taking another breath. Do Not Strain at any time.

If you suffer from chronic constipation, you may practice this stomach exercise at other times of the day. Never practice on a full stomach. A good time is before meals, when the stomach is empty. Women should not practice this technique when pregnant or during the menstrual period.

Aids in Indigestion and Stomach Problems

The technique may help you to cure indigestion and stomach troubles of a general nature.

Even if you have none of the above problems, you still may want to practice this technique in order to better cleanse and disinfect your body. Try it. After a time you may find it very pleasant as your body feels lighter, cleaner, and more energetic.

When poisons are eliminated from the body, energy flows easier and you feel better.

Your Stomach Will Love Papaya

Papaya, sometimes called a miracle food by a lot of “health nuts,” can help you with almost any kind of stomach and digestive problems and is considered a general all around tonic.

You can find the large, inexpensive variety of papaya everywhere in Mexico. Aside from the border states, which often have the large Mexican papaya, you will find the smaller variety papaya throughout the USA. Before its popularity in the USA, the papaya was used as a meat tenderizer because of the papaya enzymes’ ability to break down meat tissue. Eaten with the meal, papaya can be a digestive aid. Yoga Science as well as most healing therapies recommend it for stomach disorders.

Fasting with only papaya fruit and/or juice usually brings a nice glow to the skin.

Please feel free to ask questions and make comments below, which will require you to sign in with your name and email address in order to prevent spam comments. Your email will not be posted on this blog nor will it ever be sold or otherwise distributed without your permission. I dislike spam as much as you do…Norm

I very much would like to hear from those of you whose success with Yoga might inspire others.

Rosemary Swann June 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thanks Norman, I have been wondering what the benefits of lime juice are and how they differ from lemon juice. It seems that they have the same action in the body, is that right?

Norm June 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Hi Rosemary. As far as the purposes mentioned in this article, they are essentially the same. However, there may be scientist with more plant expertise than I have who might have another opinion. Generally the yogis take the position to use the fruit that is grown closest to you. Until modern times and modern transportation, many people did not have a choice.

Since my wife, Victoria Challancin, is a culinary professional, I asked her. She said the main difference between lemon and lime is flavor.

René April 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Hello Norman,

Thanks for sharing this article… I’ve been practicing Yoga for about a year now…and I have love the experience … I started feeling some discomfort in my right knee when I do lotus pose…my right knee is tender and I feel some pain. My right side is my lazy side and somehow I believe that I pushed it too much… I will have to learn the hard way. I am very disappointed and sad because I did not want to stop my Yoga practice since I feel that I get a lot from it…. but today the pain is there and I haven’t been able to do my practice…before I could do other poses and if I stay away from lotus pose I was fine…however I tried today as I said and balancing poses were giving me a hard time. So I have decided to stop…I found your information and I have read all the information you posted…and it has been giving me hope…and a positive feeling….I believe I will have to go to the doctor and see what the matter with my knee is….but I really thank you for your words and for posting such a great info…Muchas Gracias

Norm April 3, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Hi René,

First, let me say, “It is not necessary to sit in the lotus pose in order to benefit from your practice of Hatha Yoga.

When Paramahansa Yogananda began teaching Raja Yoga, which is a much higher practice than Hatha Yoga, in the USA, he told his students to sit in a chair for meditation. He realized that sitting cross legged would be difficult for most Westerners and he said he was not trying to make Easterners out of Westerners.

I assume that you read the article Reduce & Heal Your Knee Pain and are willing to practice the first point I make, which is, STOP whatever activity is aggravating the joint and causing the pain.

If any pose aggravate your knee, stop doing it until you heal your knee and/or learn how to do the pose without aggravation.

If you “pushed your right side too much”, the best action you can take is to learn from this and be more gentle.

Where there is strain, there is no Yoga. Where strain begins, Yoga ends. –Brother Achalananda, Swami and Self-Realization Fellowship Minister

Embrace your difficulties in practicing Yoga as opportunities to learn. Then with patience and more practice, I am sure you will succeed.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, or if I might help you in any way,

RAZIA March 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

When I was 18 year’s old I used to drink lemon in warm water half an hour before breakfast for slimming. Maybe I was allergic to lemon. I ended up getting stomach ulcer.It did help me slim and have a glowing complexion though. Afterwords whenever I would take any dish with lemon which I love, it would give me joint pains and swelling and also sinus headaches.
Now I am 65yrs. of age, and after being on Ganotherapy I can enjoy Lemon juice with less side effects.

Norm March 19, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Razia,
Thank you for your comment. I didn’t know what Ganotherapy or Ganoderma was, so I looked it up. A mushroom used in ancient chinese healing. I am glad that it worked for you.

Alida RUiz July 10, 2014 at 6:05 pm

This is great Norman. I’ve heard about the lemon and lime juice being beneficial but didn’t know exactly why. Had also heard of papaya being beneficial but also didn’t know why. My problem is I never know how to pick a papaya that is ripe enough to eat. I’d appreciate any tips.
Also, please tell me your schedule again. Having serious problems with my neck and shoulders (although the shoulder exercises you recommended last time I came never helped me. Must be the kind of problem I have.
Alida

Dorothy Miller July 10, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Hi Norman,

I’ve known of the benefits of warm water with lime in the morning, but I have hesitated because I have a recurrent problem with heartburn and not sure if it might make it worse. Do you have any information on this? I do have chronic constipation and it would be useful for me, but I don’t want the acid to cause problems in the esophagus.

Warmest greetings,

Dorothy

Brandi tetlow July 10, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for this info. Been having a lot of stomach issues and will try anything.

Norm July 11, 2014 at 9:08 am

Hi Alida,
The best way to buy a papaya is to ask the vendor to choose one for you. He may ask you, or you may say, for today, for tomorrow, or for the day after. Perhaps he will show you how to tell when a papaya is at its best maturity.

Here is my schedule for Group Classes here in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

Here is the link to my Heal Your Neck Now! VIDEO

To heal your shoulder pain, type in “Shoulder” in the Search Box and you will get a lot of help. Then the next step is to practice. No practice, no healing.

Thank you for commenting. I wish you success,
Norman

Norm July 12, 2014 at 10:23 am

Dorothy
This is a good question. Lemons and Limes may be sour, but they are really alkaline to the body. They help to lower the acidic level of the blood and alimentary canal to strengthen your immune system and make you more resistance to illness.

On the list of things to avoid in order to reduce “heartburn”, Lemons would probably be at the bottom. Of greater importance is to eliminate coffee, alcohol, sugar, white flour, white rice, chocolate, black tea, bacon, meat, and all refined, packaged, bottled, and canned products. It is extremely difficult these days to find anything that is created in a food plant that is free of chemicals and toxins.

Look at “Lose Weight and Rejuvenate Yourself with Triphala” to see how the natural fruits in the Ayurvedic Formula Triphala will help you to detox while you reverse constipation and improve digestion.

Please let me know if you have further questions,
Norman

Norm July 12, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi Brandi,
Take a look at the answers I wrote to Dorothy and then let me know if you have questions or want more help.
Blessings,
Norman

Brandi Tetlow July 12, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Dear norm, will I lose the benefit if I add honey &green tea to the lime and hot water

Norm July 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi Brandi,
I don’t know if you will lose the benefit by adding honey and green tea. I would imagine you won’t get more or better benefit this way or the Yoga Masters would have recommended it.

Why don’t you just try it with just lime and warm water for awhile and see how it works for you. Then you can have your green tea and honey at another time.

It may interest you to know that the healing science of Ayurveda says that cooked honey, which includes all commercial honey, creates a sticky substance, Ama, that interferes with eliminations, detoxification and digestion. This is the opposite of what we want. Ayurveda advises to use only raw, unheated honey. This means if you do add honey to a tea, that you allow the tea to cool down first.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Norman

Brandi July 13, 2014 at 11:10 am

Your comment on how to reverse…

“Because so many people are struggling with the same problems you are, I should write about how to reverse and heal acid reflux, GERD, indigestion, constipation. This is related to removing toxins and improving eliminations, digestion and assimilation of nutrients.”

Yes you should write about this more. Thanx brandi

Norm July 13, 2014 at 11:28 am

Brandi,

I will write this very soon.

Brittney October 16, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Thank you so much for this very informative article. It is always great to know about natural recipes that can keep you healthy.

Norm October 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Brittney – You are very welcome. Thank you for commenting.