How You Can Help Yourself to Better Health and Happiness with Yoga

by Norm on January 12, 2013

in Back Pain, Blood Pressure, Diet, Eliminations, Energy, Exercise, Fatigue, Happiness, Hatha Yoga, Healing, Health Q & A, Meditation, Nutrition, Pain Reduction, Relaxation

Do you frequently wish you could feel better?

Do you wish you had more energy?

Are you tired of being tired?

Do you wonder if you will ever win the battle to control your weight? Alcohol? Cigarettes? Drugs? Prescription as well as recreational.

Would you like some simple, easy-to-follow plan of diet and nutrition?

Do you wonder if there is such a thing as vibrant health? An enjoyable exercise program? For someone your age?

Have you at times wondered if there were methods of tension-control that someone like yourself could learn?

Would you like to be free of backache, headache, neck ache, stiffness, muscle and joint pain?

Do you long for a restful sleep?

Are you curious about meditation? Are you wondering if it is true that meditation can help you

• lower blood pressure and cholesterol,
  • heal heart disease and cancer,
  • improve your memory and intuition,
  • expand your consciousness, and
  • help you understand the meaning of life and the existence of God within?

Do you need a Guru, or is meditation something you can learn on your own?

Do you long for peace of mind?

Welcome to the Science of Yoga

My purpose of writing this blog is to share with you what I have learned about healing, improving, and maintaining health and well-being in over forty years as a student, teacher, and therapist of the Science of Yoga.

Using these ideas will enable you to help yourself to better health and happier living.

Here you will find workable health tools that will serve you regardless of your present condition or past training and experiences.

I will begin with a frequently asked question.

An Ideal, Easy-to-Follow Diet

Q. Some time ago I realized the importance of good nutrition for bettering my health and I began reading health books in an attempt to find the diet right for me. The more I read, the more confused I became. Even the experts don’t agree. Can you recommend some simple method for choosing my diet?

Have the better part of your diet consist of fresh, raw, fruits and vegetables with some lightly-steamed vegetables.

These are the foods that put the least strain on your digestive system, leave the least toxins in your body, and have the greatest cleansing effect.

Also, they are rich in minerals, vitamins, and enzymes.

Additionally, they tend to have a more positive effect on your mind, causing neither agitation nor lethargy, as do some other foods. For all of these reasons, you would be better off choosing organic foods when available.

Using fruits and vegetables as the base, you would then add natural whole grains, and non-meat proteins, such as eggs, milk, cheese, nuts, seeds, beans, peas, and avocados.

Meat is not recommended because, although it contains high quality protein, meat will leave many toxins in your body and may cause deposits to form in your arteries, joints, and muscles.

Q. You recommed a diet high in raw fruits and vegetables. If I eat more than just a small salad, I get excessive gas. Certain foods, like cabbage, I haven’t been able to eat in years. How can I possibly follow this diet?

Just do the best you can.

If you have been used to eating mostly cooked vegetables, your stomach may have difficulty handling much raw vegetables. Try to increase the amount gradually.

The food you eat must also be food that your body can handle.

From among the most nutritious foods, select the best food for you. Then stick to that diet.

—————————————————————————————

Please feel free to ask questions and make comments below, which will require you to sign in with your name and email address in order to prevent spam comments. Your email will not be posted on this blog nor will it ever be sold or otherwise distributed without your permission. I dislike spam as much as you do…Norm

I very much would like to hear from those of you whose success with Yoga might inspire others.

fabu Rich June 11, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I really need a simple diet that I can follow.

Norm June 12, 2010 at 11:34 am

Fabu. Welcome to my blog.

I am not sure what you want here.

Here is a link with the list of the articles which include something about diet.

Please let me know if you have any other questions that I might help you with.

geraldine January 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Hi Norman
Enjoying the words of wisdom.
I would love to know how to stop feeding my feelings
Instead of my tummy. (comfort eating)
How to get rid of my sweet tooth
Geraldine

Norm January 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hi Geraldine,

Your questions are not of the type that are easily answered in a few words.

However, these are great and important questions. I am sure that there are many who would benefit from solutions to these questions.

As fate would have it, I have been planing a series of FREE posts that I created called: Forever Slim: The Yoga Healing Way to Permanent Ideal Weight, the story of my discovery years ago of the yoga way to permanently heal my own weight problem.

In fact, part one after the introduction deals specifically with your questions. I tell the story of a woman who reduced her weight by moving her attention from her mouth to her stomach. Instead of giving a sensuous thrill to her mouth, she asked her stomach what it needed to feel healthy and happy.

Currently, Forever Slim: The Yoga Healing Way to Permanent Ideal Weight is only available on audio CD directly from me here in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

However, I plan to make it available for digital download. And I will begin posting it for FREE in either audio or written text in installments on this site soon.

I have some other postings to do first, but stay tuned and all of your questions will be answered.

I realize that your asking for help is spurring me to get this out sooner.

Peter Berquist January 15, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Norman,
Thanks for posting on this important topic. Your recommendations on diet are in line with what has been known for a long time to be the most health-producing. I look forward to your Forever Slim. It is so badly needed since the profit-driven food industry has put out so much misinformation on diet, causing a lot of confusion.

In my ongoing studies on nutrition, I have looked at the diets of a number of elite athletes who eat plant-based, such as Rich Roll (whose article you posted), Brendan Brazier, Scott Jurek, and Mike Mahler to name just a few. They all favor eating foods with high nutrient density. And this concept is best explained in books and lectures by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD, who was himself an elite athlete in his younger years, and maintains a high level of fitness to this day.

He describes it in an equation: health = nutrients/calories. For example, green vegetables have a very high amount of nutrients per calorie, whereas processed junk food has almost no nutrients and a lot of calories.

I hope you don’t mind me posting some info about Dr. Fuhrman. Here is a link to part one of a show that Dr. Fuhrman did for PBS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruyZOzpvnI

And here is bestselling book, Eat to Live: Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition

Dr. Fuhrman has spent his entire career researching nutrition, and has had enormous success in treating his patients with this approach.

Eating the best possible diet is important not only for physical health, but also for spiritual health, as Paramahansa Yogananda taught in Autobiography of a Yogi.

If the body is having problems it is hard to sit in meditation.

Norm January 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Peter

Thank you very much for this. I see so much unnecessary suffering due to a lack of understanding of the importance of good diet.

Joel Fuhrman is one of a growing number of doctors who are trying to educate the public for those who are interested.

Peter, I appreciate the fact that you have educated yourself and are alway willing to shed the light for others to find their way to better health.