How to Stay in Shape With Very Little Effort: Yoga Sun Salutation-VIDEO

by Norm on September 8, 2012

in Circulation, Energy, Exercise, Fatigue, Hatha Yoga, Healing, Relaxation, VIDEOS, Yoga

Here is A Yoga Sun Salutation that just about anyone can do.

Slow        Easy        Relaxing

Many people, who are turned off by exercises that require a lot of exertion and force, have told me that they really feel good doing this method of Sun Salutation on my Relaxing Hatha Yoga DVD.

Because it is easy and feels so good, you are more apt to do it.

The Yoga Sun Salutation is an almost complete system of fitness and health. You flex your body in every way except twisting.

With increased practice, you will build Flexibility, Strength, Endurance, Balance, and the Ability to Relax Easier.

Is this possible?

Most people already give credit to yoga for improved Flexibility and Balance, but where does the strength and endurance come from?

Strength is developed by lifting and moving your own body around. You may, as many have, find that you prefer this strength-generating experience to lifting dead, lifeless iron weights.

Do you want more endurance and aerobic effect? Just do more repetitions and increase speed of the Sun Salutation movements accordingly.

To get more benefit practice this frequently and do more repetitions.

When you are certain that you are doing the positions correctly, you can begin to increase the speed.

If you are tense at night, you can do this very slowly to calm the mind before sleep.

If you wake up sluggish in the morning, you can do this faster to get your circulation and energy flowing.

Typically, the Sun Salutation is practiced 12 times early in the morning.

Even if you do fewer repetitions, but do the number that feels the best to you,

You Will Be on Your Way to Better Fitness and Health.

I wish you success,
YogaNorman

Go here to learn more and/or buy and download the RELAXING HATHA YOGA VIDEO with Norman Popovsky complete yoga class.

Go here to see another clip from the VIDEO: Yoga ShoulderStand – VIDEO

Please feel free to ask questions and make comments below, which will require you to sign in with your name and email address in order to prevent spam comments. Your email will not be posted on this blog nor will it ever be sold or otherwise distributed without your permission. I dislike spam as much as you do…Norm

I very much would like to hear from those of you whose success with Yoga might inspire others.

pedro September 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Te amo Norman, estoy alegre que estamos amigos espiritual !

Norm September 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Muchas Gracias Y Igualmente.

Peter Berquist September 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

Norman,
Thanks for posting this video. It is helpful to see how you do the sun salutation. And also to see the pictures of the gurus in the background.

Norm September 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Peter, Thank you for your comment.

I, too, really like having the Gurus pictures in the video.
I am sorry that I don’t have them closer and clearer.
When this video was shot, I had no experience and let the cameraman talk me out of keeping the Gurus’ pictures in other videos. He said they would be distracting to the purpose of the video.

Diana October 24, 2012 at 4:29 am

Yes, Yoga is very helpful if we want to stay in shape and I’m practicing it. Also, for like 6 months, I’ve started to take some mixed martial arts classes, because were recommended by an instructor, who told me that I should start following this kind of classes.

Norm October 24, 2012 at 9:02 am

Diana, Nice to hear from you.

We all have different needs and desires so some people will like the martial arts, and some will choose other paths.

I practiced Judo for 5 years and Aikido for 3. I appreciate the instructors I had and what I learned from them.

I have now had more then 40 years with Yoga and I find all that I need in Yoga, especially the spiritual aspects of Raja Yoga Meditation, as taught by Paramahansa Yogananda.

I wish you success on your path,
Norman

Clare April 6, 2013 at 1:40 am

Hi Norm,
I have Restless Legs Syndrome, also known as Willis-Ekbom disease (WED). This description is from the rls.org website:

“(RLS), is a disruptive neurologic disorder that seriously affects 2-3% of the adult population. WED/RLS results in an irresistible urge to move the legs which is often accompanied by unusual or unpleasant sensations in the legs that may be described as creeping, tugging, or pulling. Because WED/RLS most often occurs in the evening, it can severely disrupt sleep and reduce quality of life.”

My RLS manifests itself in a long movie, concert, plane ride (any time I am unable to move freely) and every night a few hours after I’ve fallen asleep. If I try to ignore it and stay in bed the discomfort gradually becomes more severe until I have to get up and move around. Moving around isn’t enough, the brain-pain connection has to be broken.

Ever since you first posted your video demonstrating your version of a sun salutation I’ve been doing it in the night when my restless legs wake me up. The varied routine of the sun salutation breaks the connection between my brain and legs, and the stretching helps physically. After sitting quietly for a few minutes afterwards I am able to go back to bed and fall asleep.

I still don’t like getting up in the middle of the night but I don’t fight it as much, I just get up and do a sun salutation in the dark, knowing it will help. When I am in a place of dubious cleanliness such as a motel room, I go as far as the eggbeater part. That is enough to bring relief.

Thank you very much.

Norm April 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Welcome Clare,

You did a very good job of explaining how Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) affects you, and how you have had some relief with this video. Thank you very much. I am sure this will be of help to others.

May I suggest that you practice with this version of the Sun Salutation at other times of the day for even greater benefit.

Also, this video may be of some help to you.

Yoga ShoulderStand-VIDEO will improve circulation to the legs. If you find this too difficult for you, you can do a modified version with your legs up the wall. There is a link at the end of the video for legs-up-the-wall pose.

I wish you continued success.

Clare April 7, 2013 at 4:05 am

Hi Norm,
I will practice this Sun Salutation at other times during the day, as it’s a mini yoga practice, also Shoulder Stand, but RLS is a neurological condition, it’s not due to poor circulation. Of course, it always helps to improve circulation especially with all of the other benefits from Shoulder Stand.

Norm April 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hi Clare,

Yes, and improved circulation should mean improved health of the nerves, as well as all of the cells.

Generally improved circulation means better oxygen and nutrition to the cells. What is not often appreciated is the important work of toxin removal that the circulation does, which can be a critical factor in healthy nerve function.

Also, the healing benefits of the ShouldStand make it one on the most important poses for all around health.

So much of the benefits of the yoga postures are little understood by modern medicine. The understanding gets even more complicated when we try to describe the effect the glands will have on the nerves in each posture.

Or the yoga saying, “Where the circulation goes, the prana goes. Where the prana goes, the circulation goes.”

Ultimately, you will have to practice and find out what works for you, as you described in your first comment.

Again, thank you for sharing your experince. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Maelle June 13, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I loved this exercise!! I did it just now after spending the day working sitting down and I started to feel new oxygen coming in and it was fantastic. I also really appreciate how you mention the things we should be looking for because it let me know that I was doing the exercises right. As I started to stretch I heard my bones popping and cracking which is precisely why I’ve been wanting to find a stretching set to do during the day (particularly in the morning) because I feel like at 30 I’m too young for my body to be cracking and popping every time I stretch! I look forward to continuing to do this and feeling the natural high I got afterwards as my body expressed gratitude for taking such good care of it!

Thanks Norman!
xoxo

Norm June 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hi Maelle, Thank you for your comment.

You got the right sense of this way of practicing: Going slowly so that you can feel and experience all that is going on to do the pose correctly.

Many fail to understand when they practice rapidly to get a “good, hard workout” that while this may have some meaning in the western workout-at-the-gym sense, it misses the goal of yoga which is to “Be still and come within.”

Keep this attitude you have, and you will enjoy a lot of success with your yoga practice.
Norman

Jose Puig September 9, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Thank you norman, for everything.

Norm September 9, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Jose, You are very welcome. Nice to hear from you.
Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with.
Norman

Friedeman July 19, 2015 at 8:12 am

Hello Norman,

thank you for posting the sun salutation video. Finally I have found a video I can follow. I’m a bus driver having a damaged disc and disposition of hip joint. It can be quite painfulI. I started exercising today and I feel this is good. Best wishes

Friedeman

Norm July 20, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Hello Friedeman. Thank you for your comment. As you practice with this video more, you will find that this yoga Sun Salutation will very much help to reverse the negative effects of driving a bus.

To help reduce and heal the pain from your “damaged disc” and “hip joint,” also practice “Self-Heal Your Back Pain Yoga VIDEO Parts 1,2,3.”

Because chauffeurs are subject to a lot of health problems, you will benefit greatly by practicing all of my other video clips, especially “Yoga ShoulderStand-VIDEO.” If you are not quite ready for the ShoulderStand, this post will give you information on the Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose, which will help to reverse a lot of the negative effects of driving a bus.

I wish you great success with your Yoga Practice. Please let me know if I may help you further.
Norman

david March 11, 2016 at 3:56 pm

hi norm ,,, i was looking at the sun salutation .. video and i am interested in doing the exercise .. but i have a question regarding it .. as i am a beginner have you any tips ,, and i have high blood pressure would this be suitable for me . or would it help with this complaint ,, or could you recomend another one ,, regards david,,,

Norm March 12, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Hi David,
Let RELAX & HEAL be your approach to learning yoga. Move gently in and out of the positions without straining. Feel like you are relaxing into the pose. To better understand this, go to How Not To Hurt Yourself Doing Yoga.

Yoga has been proven to lower high blood so you don’t have to worry about doing yoga with high blood pressure as long as you use some common sense. If you think that this Sun Salutation might be too difficult for you at first, start with my ‘Self-Heal Your Back Pain VIDEO Pt 1,” which, among its many benefits, is designed to help you lower high blood pressure.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
I wish you great success in your yoga practice,
Norman