Brother Bimalananda’s Prayer Affirmation to Help You Improve Your Relationships

by Norm on September 24, 2012

in Conflict Resolution, Happiness, Healing, Paramahansa Yogananda, Relationships, Self-Realization Fellowship, Success Stories, Testimonials

Brother Bimalananda’s Prayer Affirmation to

Help You Improve Your Relationships

Brother Bimalananda (1923-2010) was a direct disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda for more than 60 years.

About five years into our marriage, my wife Vicki and I were still in conflict a lot of the time. We were both independently minded and used to making all our own individual decisions.

What to do?

In looking for answers I found myself in a counseling session with Brother Bimalananda, a Swami in Paramahansa Yoganandaʼs Self-Realization Fellowship.

“Brother, I want to have a harmonious marriage, but it seems like my wife challenges and contradicts everything I say. What can I do to make things better?”

Brother Bimalananda said, “To help make things better, pray like this.”

Divine Mother, awaken my wife in her heart, her mind, and her soul to the blessing of Thy Light, Thy Love, and Thy Joy.

Immediately, I knew that this would work. Joy.

I knew it would work because there was no way for me to manipulate the outcome. I was not praying that my wife be made to act in a way that I thought was right.

There was no “I am right and she is wrong.”

Just “Awaken her in her heart, her mind, and her soul to the blessing of Thy Light, Thy Love, and Thy Joy.” I loved this.

Brother Bimalananda told me to say this five times a day. When I awoke in the morning, before each meal, and before bed at night.

Well, I started right off doing many more times. I liked it. Perhaps I did it a hundred or more times a day. I just kept turning it over and over in my mind.

Soon I began seeing Vicki differently. I felt more compassion, kindness, understanding, and accepting of who she was.

How can you pray for someone like this and not feel better about her?

And, guess what?

She began to behave better.

And I was not as judgmental and not as certain of my own thoughts that I was always right.

Of course she behaved better without my ego pressure on her.

After a time I found that this was a good prayer affirmation for anyone I loved.

So when I worried about my son, I prayed this affirmation for him.

Then I began to pray in this manner for an ill friend.

I prayed for my yoga students who wanted healing, but were resisting the well-lit yoga therapy road to success.

After a time I realized I needed to do this for those I had problems with who I felt unable to love.

I had gotten stubborn at times when I felt justified in judging anotherʼs wrong actions. “Why should I pray for him. It is so obvious he is completely in the wrong.”

Yes, that was the most spiritual behavior I could practice. “Pray for those who despitefully use you.” *

Why not? Step aside from conflict and pray for the wellbeing of your enemies.

Try this prayer affirmation and watch it work for you.

Heavenly Father, Awaken  _____  in his heart, his mind and his soul to the blessings of Thy Light, Thy Love, and Thy Joy.

*But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. Matthew 5:44

You might also like: Why Not Add a Spiritual Attitude to Your Self-Healing Yoga Practice

——————————————————————————————-

Please feel free to ask questions and make comments below, which will require you to sign in with your name and email address in order to prevent spam comments. Your email will not be posted on this blog nor will it ever be sold or otherwise distributed without your permission. I dislike spam as much as you do…Norm

Daisy September 26, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is so lovely. Brother’s prayers are very powerful.

After having some sibling-relationship differences with my brother, I decided to pray one of the loving prayers recommended by Brother. After praying for about 3-4 months the same prayer, I’m finding that we haven’t had a single argument in the last three weeks. Even if he doesn’t agree on something, he reacts politely and doesn’t try to pick a fight anymore. I know this prayers work;

I tried at work before, and all I did was sending loving thoughts and prayers to my “enemy,” after a while there was no longer any hard feelings.

All I can say is, prayers like Bro. Bimanalanda’s do work! Give them a try, even if it’s hard sometimes to pray for our enemies. You begin to slowly change your attitude and feel love towards your subject of prayer as well.

Blessed be Brother’s Loving Soul!

Mark Du Bois September 26, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Great advice!
If I may add another from the wisdom from Sri Daya Mata.

Some time back at an SRF Convocation, a monk was lecturing on the topic of how to progress on the spiritual path. He referred to a booklet written by Sri Daya Mataji and stated that the answer to this perplexing question was in this simple booklet. It is a most effective technique, and readily available to all. Then he told the audience “Over many years, I have observed that of all the many SRF publications, there is one that seems to be especially popular. It is a small booklet titled…How to Change Others“!

Like candy for the eyes, the title strikes hope into our minds as we conjure up all the annoying habits of those close to us whom we will now be able to cure by devouring the contents of this little tome and applying its salve to our dear ones! (And maybe even to our enemies!). Surely, within its pages, written by such a compassionate and respected soul as Daya Mata I will find the key to solving all my relationship problems. No doubt, I will find some secret technique I can use to mold my friends and family into more perfect beings!

To our surprise the “secret technique” that awaits the reader is: In order to “change others” we must change ourselves! This is the challenge we all face…and although simple, it is a most difficult task and each soul must eventually be victorious in it’s pursuit.

The best part of it is that when we have the right attitude and pray for others upliftment, a lot of it “splashes back” on us and we are blessed as well…to quote Norman: “And I was not as judgmental and not as certain of my own thoughts that I was always right”.

So, the technique Bimalanandaji suggested blesses not only the one being prayed for but also, the one doing the praying!

The theme of Daya Mata’s booklet reminds me of a wonderful story about Gandhi:
One day a woman comes to see Gandhi, with her son in tow…
‘Tell my son to stop eating sugar!’ she demanded of Ghandi.
Gandhi thought for a moment and replied ‘Come back tomorrow.’
The woman (and her son) returned the next day, expecting some sort of display. Gandhi motioned the son forward. ‘Stop eating sugar’, he said to the son. The son bowed his head, nodded, and started to walk away, but his mother stopped him and turned to Gandhi.
‘You could have said that yesterday. Why did you have us come back today?’ she asked.
‘Yesterday’, Gandhi replied ‘I was still eating sugar’.

Norm September 27, 2012 at 9:47 am

Daisy, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your success with this type of prayer affirmation.

I know that when others read this they will be more inspired to practice this themselves.

Norm September 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

Mark, I smiled when you mentioned Daya Mata’s booklet, “How to Change Others.”

Often when I have given this booklet to a yoga student who has complained about being mistreated, he or she grins to see “How to Change Others” on the cover.

Later, when the lesson, “If you want things to get better, change yourself,” comes through, then the student begins to understand Yoga.

As Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.”

If we want others to behave better, we start by first learning to behave better ourselves.

Thank you, Mark. I am always happy to get your comments,

For more from Mark Du Bois, Click on this link to see How Mark Healed His Knee Pain

John Osmond October 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Thank you Norm for this apparently ‘timely’
prayer. As Mark commented, “what we give out
comes back to us!”. Gracias John.

Norm October 4, 2012 at 7:12 pm

John, Thank you for your comment.

A great yogi once said it this way.

An Almighty Power has linked us all together.
Whenever you help others you are helping yourself
from AMBITION A “Para-Gram” by Paramahansa Yogananda