≡ Menu

Self-Healing Leg Pain, Inflammation, Stiffness & Swelling

Here is a knee replacement problem submitted by Danielle in the Comments section of the article Reduce & Heal Your Knee Pain. I have decided to reprint this here to make it more available since many viewers never get to the Comments sections of articles.

If your condition does not involve your knee, you may still benefit from this information since the self-healing principles that will help you to heal a knee pain will apply to pain you might have in other parts of your body.

Please feel free to make comments and ask questions.

Danielle’s Knee Problem

Dear Norm,
On Nov.5 I had a bilateral knee replacement. 4 months into my recovery my knees have a feeling like they are being strangled and they are very stiff. Yet I have flexion of 26 degrees on both legs. Even though I can bend my legs and I go up and down stairs
several times a day , as the bathroom is upstairs , I continue to have pain and a grainy feeling along side of my knee cap.

I have been told by my physical therapist that it is not scar tissue but inflammation, and fluid. My knees become very stiff in the night while I sleep and when I wake I am compelled to stretch them straight and I seem to have no control over this action.

I have been told to only do 10 leg lifts raising the leg on to the height of the other bended knee. I was suppose to do this 3 times a day.

Another doctor told me to just walk, so I walked 2 hours a day. This made my knees really hurt and the swelling in my knees remain.

I currently supplement my diet with Super B complex , calcium, E&C, magnesium and 5000 units of D3. I drink a lot of 100% juices a varied mix and eat lots of veggies and oatmeal in many forms.

I have been doing this now for 3 months and I still have this strangling, tight, stiff feeling in my knees. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Danielle

Danielle,

I will be very happy to help you. First, be sure that you do your best to follow the advice on my article, Reduce & Heal Your Knee Pain.

Under 1 > First: STOP whatever activity is aggravating the joint and causing the pain, Obviously walking two hours a day and causing more pain and swelling isn’t the answer for you. There are many things that you can do with yoga postures that will not aggravate your knees.

Have you been practicing 2 > Elevate the legs up a wall to improve circulation and reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain? This will really help you and you should do it several times a day for longer periods.

Are the juices that you are drinking fresh squeezed? Or are they from cans or bottles? Fresh juices are way more valuable for you.

You should do 7 > Adopt an Anti-inflammatory Diet.

Start with this and I will give you more later. In fact, as I mentioned in an email announcing the post, How Alida Overcame the Pain & Spinal Misalignment of Scoliosis, Because I have been getting a great deal of site traffic from people suffering with a lot of joint pain, inflammation, stiffness and swelling, I am considering writing a series of articles on self-healing of these conditions.

I might move your comments to a new post and go from there.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask questions and make more comments. Also, it will help if you answer the questions I have just made here.

Blessings,

Tuesday, March 15, 2011   Danielle’s Progress

Dear Norm,

I started doing the feet up the wall pose a few days ago , I can see that the puffiness around my knees have gone down.

I have stopped the walking all together. and I am icing my knees for 20 min every other hour, after I ice, I put my feet up the wall, after I get down I put my legs on a shiatsu massager for 15 min. then I take a nap.

The juice I have available to me is out of bottles and are 100% juice. I do not have a juicer and no funds to buy one at this time as I have not worked for several months.

I do eat a lot of fresh fruit. This week I will buy a pineapple and a papaya .

I do not know anything about yoga, so I don’t know the poses. Is there I site where I can see them ?

Thank you for writing to me, I appreciate your help and I will do what ever you suggest to me.
Sincerely
Danielle

Danielle,

I am happy to hear that you have gotten some reduction in knee swelling by doing the legs-up-the-wall position.

How long are you staying with your legs up the wall?

How often are you doing it?

The longer and the more often you practice the legs-up-the-wall pose, the sooner you will reduce swelling and pain.

Please notice that in 2 > Elevate the legs up a wall to improve circulation and reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain, in my article, Reduce & Heal Your Knee Pain, I talked about the student who stayed in that position for four hours and healed his knee in a very short time. This student was here doing yoga with me for a month recently and is in excellent shape. He is not limited in any activities and has reaped the results of regular yoga practice.

Diet

You will not get as much value out of bottled juice as you will from fresh juice. However, you don’t need to buy a juicer. You can just eat fresh fruit and you will even get more benefit because you are eating the whole fruit.

Yoga Poses – For right now just do what you can with my free videos, Improve Your Circulation Video, Knee Healing Video, Knees, Hips, Ankles, Toes: Improve Circulation & Range of Motion Video, and the others.

Learn to practice these in a way that does not cause pain, and in a way that feels good.

If you would like inspiration, read the Success Stories on this blog.

Be very gentle in your practice.

Let me know how you are progressing and I will give you more guidance.

Namaste’, ……..Norm

{ 11 comments… add one }

• shifa December 28, 2012, 11:44 pm

Hi,

Initially i had swelling on my right leg now i have it on my left leg too….. Could you please tell me whether i can meet you for yoga classes so that even i can get back in shape.
    P.S. PLEASE MAIL ME ON MY EMAIL ID.

Thanks,
    Shifa

• Norm December 29, 2012, 9:50 am

Hi Shifa,

As you requested, I have emailed you information about my Yoga Classes here in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.

For anyone else complete information will be found for
    Group Yoga Classes at http://slyoga.com/group-yoga-classes/

and for Private One-on-One Counseling, Therapy, and Instruction
    at http://yoganorman.com/private.html

Thank you for your interest in my classes.
    Norman

• shifa December 29, 2012, 10:07 am

Hi,

i reside in India. What do i do now???? Can you please den give which yoga exercises to do….. I haven’t been to any yoga class…. I don’t have much knowledge of yoga… Because of my swollen legs i cant even walk…. It stops me from doing anything… Please help me…

• shifa December 29, 2012, 10:16 am

Hi Norm,

I also have constipation, acidity, food does not digest…. My appetite is very low as compared to it was earlier. My weight is increasing day-by-day. I feel very tired. Don’t get sleep much and water intake is very low. Have lot of stress, low confidence, unable to interact with people, and more. Please do let me know what should i do. What diet should i follow. Which exercises should i do

• Norm December 29, 2012, 1:07 pm

Shifa,

I will be very happy to help you. Almost everything on this site will have benefit for you, because Yoga offers many Healing principles that will apply to all conditions.

To begin with you should practice the Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose to reduce swelling in your legs.

Notice Danielle’s email in the article above where she says, “I started doing the feet up the wall pose a few days ago, I can see that the puffiness around my knees have gone down.”

Then follow the links above to the articles and free video clips for some Yoga Poses that will help you.

Recently, I have published Yoga ShoulderStand – VIDEO, which will give you an idea of some of the many benefits of this Yoga Pose.

I imagine that you are not ready to do this ShoulderStand Pose. However, you can compensate for this by just staying in the Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose for a much longer period than is usually held in the ShoulderStand.

Notice that these poses are recommended to help you improve conditions of
    Inflamed & Swollen Legs, Feet, Ankles, Knees
    Excess Weight
    Low Energy
    Sagging Abdomen & Stomach
    Hemorrhoids
    Constipation
    Depression

You asked, “What diet should I follow?”

Start with my first post, “How You Can Help Yourself to Better Health and Happiness with Yoga.” From there you can simply follow the links to the “Next Post” and keep reading each post to gain inspiration to eat healthy food to promote your self-healing.

So Shifa I have given you some excellent tools to help you to heal yourself. However, a greater factor than my advice will be your own willingness and determination to heal yourself. To that end, you will benefit from reading about others who have healed themselves in the “Success Stories” category.

Please let me know if you have more questions and if I may help you further.

I wish you great success,
    Norman

• Shifa December 31, 2012, 12:26 am

Hi Norm,

When i am trying the legs up the wall pose, I have to move 17-18 inches away from the wall & bend my knees as i observe strain on my kness, thighs & calf. Also i have to point my right foot on the right side and my left foot on the left side as i feel the strain on my calf.

What should i do??? is this the correct way I am doing??? Do you have any video of this pose & the Do’s & Dont’s for the same????

As suggested by you, I will go through these articles & videos:
    Reduce & Heal Your Knee Pain
    How Alida Overcame the Pain & Spinal Misalignment of Scoliosis.
    Yoga Poses – Improve Your Circulation Video, Knee Healing Video, Knees, Hips, Ankles, Toes: Improve Circulation & Range of Motion Video, and the others.

Thanks,
    Shifa

• Shifa December 31, 2012, 12:45 am

Hi Norm,

How long should i be in the Legs up the wall pose???
    Can you also provide yoga exercises for flexibility where i dont strain my body part???

Thanks,
    Shifa

• Norm January 1, 2013, 6:23 pm

Hi Shifa,

You have some good questions here. I will answer them in a way that will apply to all of your yoga practices:
    1. I give instructions which are the ideal way to do a pose. For instance, I will say get your hips right up against the wall. Then pivot and put your legs straight up the wall.
    2. I will also tell you to make necessary adjustments to the specific instructions, as you have done.
    If your hamstring muscles are very tight, then you might need to have your hips a bit away from the wall.
    If it becomes very uncomfortable to have your legs straight up the wall, then you may bend your knees for a time to alleviate some of the stress. This may also be necessary to relieve tension in your lower back.

I will have a video soon to show and explain the modified positions. For now, just do the best you can.

Thank you for your questions. I am sure that in my answering them for you, others will also be helped.

• Norm January 1, 2013, 6:45 pm

Hi Shifa,

When you are trying to reduce inflammation and swelling in your legs, the longer you have your legs up the wall and the more frequently you practice this, the sooner you will reduce swelling and inflammation.

In the article, Reduce and Heal Your Knee Pain, I told of the man who arrived on crutches with a very swollen knee. The next day he had marked reduction in swelling because he had practiced the Legs-Up-the-Wall pose for four hours at home. In two more days, he was off the crutches.

For right now focus mostly on the Legs-Up-the-Wall pose.

Then begin practicing the videos with the easier, seated poses.

As you begin to loosen up and feel better go to the videos where you lie on your back on the floor. Next try the videos with the standing poses.

Don’t try to force progress. You will get best results for yourself by doing the easier poses more frequently than by trying to push yourself to do more difficult ones.

Keep a positive attitude and keep practicing yoga,

• Anthony Sirianni January 22, 2013, 9:47 pm

My knee hurts on the right side, i have slight swelling, but i can bend my knee fully with little pain, my leg is a bit weak and I just want to know how bad I’ve injured my knee

• Norm January 22, 2013, 10:13 pm

Hi Anthony,

I am not in a position to say “how bad you have injured your knee.” Based upon your description of the symptoms, it appears that your knee is not injured badly.

If you practice the advice and techniques given above and in Reduce & Heal Your Knee Pain, you should begin to see a reduction in swelling and pain. If you still want a diagnosis, you should see a doctor.

I hope this helps,